Monday, May 30, 2011

Can Russell Outstitch the Competition?

Please pick one of the following in terms of an athletic uniform: Nike or Russell.

If you’re thinking the way I am with the college football season upon us, we probably picked Nike.  They outfit plenty of college football teams.  Take the Oregon Ducks for example; Nike supplied them with 80 different uniform combinations, and every single one of them has a wow factor to it whether it involves their traditional colors or steel plated sleeves with gunmetal helmets.

Let’s think here for a second people. Teal, black, and bronze are not a run of the mill color combination. Neither is a crazy rooster mascot whose name has ESPN’s tongues tied.

After pondering these simple facts, wouldn’t Nike be the first choice to make the Chanticleers the best-outfitted team in the NCAA?

Just picture in your head what Nike would do to CCU’s football uniforms.  Even if they made a million different combinations, I think I’d find a way to buy every single one.

But the thing is, CCU decided to outfit all of the Chanticleers athletic teams with Russell apparel for the next five years.  I don’t know about you guys, but the first thing I think of when it comes to Russell is the two-dollar clearance rack at Walmart.  The second thing I think of is it’s going to rip like a Hulk Hogan t-shirt the second I move the wrong way. 

Sorry if I sound like a Debbie downer, but it’s something that makes me scratch my head in confusion.

In closing, am I jumping to conclusions when thinking Russell cannot do what a company like Nike would do with our jerseys?  Maybe.  Do you blame me?  Probably not.  Do I want Russell to burn my first column like Desean Jackson’s last second punt return to overcome a 21 point, second half deficit burned the Giants playoff hopes?  Absolutely.


Nike Pro Combat CCU Jersey

No comments:

Post a Comment